Questions and Answers
Your Questions About Low Income Apartments In Miami
Low income houseing in New York for the disabled, assistance with college, SSI benefits…?
A friend and I have a goal of moving out of our parents houses and into a New York apartment in 2 and 1/2 years. I’m legally blind so I qualify for low income housing, but I have a few questions like can my friend move in with me? He would pay ‘normal’ rent? If I apply now, do I have to pick an area to live in now? How long would the entire process take? Here in Miami, Fl I am a client of DBS which, after Financial Aid, would pay for college. Does New York have an equivalent, or any other kind of student with a disability financial assistance thing? If you have any additional advice, it’s more than welcome. Also I currently receive SSI (like a bit more than 670$). Does New York give more? Haha Sorry for my ignorance, I’m learning All of this will be temporary. If you can answer any of the above questions, it would be very much appreciated.
So let me get this straight… there’s this thing called Disability that is like SSI but is based on what you earn rather than lack there of? If I had a job, why would I need that? Is there a cap on how much I can earn, like, do I HAVE to work part time, or some ‘whatever’ job?
Thank you so much Landlord! That was really helpful.
No, you can not have a roommate in subsidized housing. The only way your friend can live with you at all is if you are legally married to them.
You can not apply for housing in NY until you are a legal resident of NY, which is 6 months after you move there.
SSI is welfare, not disability, you should apply for disability. The welfare in NYC is about 695. Disability will be more and is based on what you have earned working, so I can’t give you an exact figure.
I do not know if NY pays for educating the disabled or not. It sounds like discrimination to me, so I am surprised any state does it.
how much would an apartment in miami cost?
ok well i really want to move to miami soon and go to collage there ( the university of miami) and me and one of my friends are planning on being roomates and i would like to know how much it would cost to rent an apartment down there …..even if its not close to the beach , and do you think i could get anyuthing down there with a low income job , but remember both me and my friend will be workin ….so yah
do you think ill fit in im brazilian and part cuban
Any good Apartment in Cutler Bay, Miami..?
I am actually moving to Miami from Chicago and I am looking for a good apartment…By good I mean it should in a very safe neighborhood and must have a pool & fitness center…Most places I had been calling are either aparments for elderly ppl or low income group…I am looking for a more lively place in the cutler bay area…I would really appreciate if anyone can help with any info…
YOu can not rent a home online. Even the photos are misleading. You must go in person and talk to the other tenants. If they are unhappy, they will tell you. /
Does it make sense for me to fight foreclosure of deceased relative’s property?
I am seeking to cure the mortgage, assume financial responsibility, and live there for a few years until I earn my degree. After that I plan to use as a rental property.
About me and my circumstances
* 25 year old Ph.D. student (Public Health Epidemiology)
* I need a place to stay. I’m currently staying with a relative and she wants me out by August – really ASAP.
* Cheapest rent in Miami is $500 per month in VERY bad neighborhoods for an efficiency or room. I would be looking at least $600-700 for a decent, single 1-bedroom apartment…excluding utilities.
-Unemployed but receive $1833.33 via fellowship (money does not have to be repaid).
-I CANNOT work as stipulation of almost half of the funding I receive.
-Considering giving away part of the fellowship so that I can work and then be better candidate to refi altogether with something like a 203K.
-Have $23,000 liquid I am holding onto from student loans I took out for the sole purpose of saving this home (either to go towards reinstatement or repairs).
* Expenses monthly are roughly $975 per month in bills and $350 for miscellaneous expenses. I support myself only.
-Revolving accounts: $15,055.99
-Student loans: $53,269.87 (including the cash I’m holding onto)
-Auto loans: $5,989.26
-Building credit since 2004.
-No prior negative history with the exception of minor case of identity theft where a cable account was opened in my name and collections activity was briefly on my file last year. Quickly resolved and had removed.
-Current scores coasting at the upper 600s to low 700s (703 peak) mostly due to high balances and age of accounts.
-Extremely responsible with paying bills. Have a VERY rigid system, NEVER late.
* I recognize that my financial picture is kinda ugly…especially for someone my age. ?
* No one in my family is in a position to help me with this. They are either not willing (in the case of my six-figure earning engineer uncle) or cannot (in the case of my parents who are going through a bankruptcy).
About the property
* I am listed on the title of the property along with my father and uncle.
-Grandmother signed a warranty deed prior to death leaving property in her children’s names.
-One of those children (my aunt) subsequently lived in the property, didn’t pay ANY bills, and did not notify the rest of the family about the past-due notices/foreclosure threats.
-That aunt quit-claimed her ownership to me almost a year AFTER foreclosure proceedings were initiated.
-Father is currently in bankruptcy process.
-Property has never been through a probate.
* Has been in foreclosure 24 months and no sale date ever assigned.
* Monthly mortgage payments for the property are $318. Previously they were $260 per month but due to initiation of foreclosure proceedings, lender-placed insurance and taxes are now being escrowed.
* Current payoff total (breakdown below): $35,574.75
-Principle balance: $21,388.76
-Late Charges: 78.36
* Bank wants total of $19,422.97 to reinstate the mortgage. This amount includes:
-$10,805.64 past due payments, late charges, interest, and fees
-$8,617.33 for escrow
* Home needs significant repairs >$20,000. Without them, home is uninhabitable.?
-I paid $1,600 to have water-lien removed; I didn’t want that to make things more complicated.
-What ultimately led the aunt to leave the home is that the water was shut off due to non-payment of the water bill that stemmed from a water leak that would’ve originally cost her $150 to take care of.
-The aunt also took all of the appliances from the home and left it in horrible condition (photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/108920621280191069467/House?authkey=Gv1sRgCP7t9bGQ7OvB4AE&feat=directlink?)
* Home was appraised at $70,000 (sales-comparison) and $103,546 (cost approach, if developed).
* The bank does not have the original note (thought I’d mention that).
Clearly, this is a huge dilemma for me. I do have a lawyer on the case but he honestly seems to be doing nothing. My father and uncle hired him. He hasn’t even been trying to negotiate. I spoke to him once and he says his priority was to hold the bank off as long as possible and that he’s done pretty well considering how much time has elapsed with no substantial progression in the foreclosure case.
On one hand I do need a place to stay and this would be just about the only place I can afford. On the other hand, I could use the cash I have on hand to pay off some of my debts and work towards being debt free. Granted I do understand that I using borrowed money to pay other debts isn’t the smartest thing in the world. In my defense by paying down some debts now, I would be able to decrease the amount of money spent monthly. The loans which ultimately have to be paid back won’t be due until after I graduate. HOPEFULLY, I can land a decent job once I graduate with my Ph.D. Sigh.
I am ext
Try calling the National Association of Homeowner Advocates, www.naoha.org. Found out about them through someone I know – they helped me for free no upfront fees and very helpful.. They had very knowledgable staff when I called in
I tried for almost 2 years with BofA to get a loan modification and they got my delinquent payments caught up and reduced my payment down almost 40%.
1 (888) 954 6736 They will give you free guidance!
£40000 or $60000 to Invest or start a business – what would you do?
I was thinking of the following
- Buy property in Miami, a lot of foreclosures there, maybe put down deposits on two apartments. I have calculated that each apartment will leave me with $1000 per month after expenses – if occupied.
- Buy shares – Rio tinto, Glaxo, Xstrata, Anglo American . . . but not sure I want to risk that much money in shares in case I lose it all.
- Start a business – I am not sure what sort of business I could start especially if it involves sales since most people will only buy food thesedays – recession etc
- Just keep it in the bank – not a good idea since interest rates are low.
- I would have bought property in the UK but buy to let requires 25% deposit for new homes and the mortgage rates don’t leave any income.
What would you do? How would you invest that much money?
Personally I would invest half in US depleted housing market and place the rest in mutual funds. Http://www.mutualfundwealth.com/
Powered by Yahoo! Answers