Apartments for Low Income

Questions and Answers

Your Questions About Low Income Housing Projects

August 24, 2013

Lizzie asks…

How does applying for section 8 work?

I went up to the Housing Authority and they gave me a packet of low income apartments. Does this mean that I have to apply at the individual apartment that I want? Someone please help me.

Administrator answers:

Low income apartments are not the same as section 8. Most likely the section 8 wait list is closed. Low income apartments are usually the result of a tax credit. A few apartments are rented at below market rate. You must apply to each individually. They usually have a minimum income requirement and criteria tenants must meet in credit/rental/criminal history. Ask about these things before applying. Your list might also include public housing and/or project based section 8.

Chris asks…

What’s the difference between housing projects and apartments?


Administrator answers:

Housing projects are government owned. They usually rent to low-income or low middle-income people. An apartment is simply a self-contained unit within a larger building that people rent out. An apartment can possibly be a part of a housing project.

Mandy asks…

Are there grants to help remodel homes?

We will be selling our house (second home because of schooling) this next year once my daughter graduates. It is a smaller home and needs quite a bit of work. Unfortunately we don’t have the money to do it. Are there any programs out there and/or grants that help with this type of thing? Thanks in advance!

Administrator answers:

Yes, there are grants under certain conditions. Ones that i have heard about include:

Grants to fix “historic” homes. It may qualify if your home is older than 100 years, or if it is a good example of a particular architect or style, or if someone famous once lived there. You might try asking at your local non-profit historical society. They will be using grants to purchase some historical homes and fix them up, so they will surely know about this type of grant and if your home has historical value.

Grants to make your home more energy efficient. I’m about to look into one that provides money for insulating homes… It’s available to people of low income. I found a brochure for this at the public library, but i expect the utilities companies would also have information about this type of grant.

Urban/Community renewal grants. Sometimes economically depressed areas will have grant money available to “beautify” a neighborhood. Sometimes neighborhoods have a lot of empty houses, too, and there will be grants to help people get a house and fix it up.

There are others, and often they are only available in one area. I would try asking at your city office. In my community, there is one particular guy at the city building who helps people find and qualify for grants.

Just another thought… I have found cable television programs, particularly those on HGTV to be very helpful. There are a number of television shows now that are all about fixing up or staging your house for very little money so that you can sell it. Sell This House, Get It Sold, Designed to Sell, are three of these programs. All of them do a budget from $300 – $2000 to get the home ready for sale. Even if you don’t get these programs, go to the websites where they have lots of tips and how-to projects for fixing up your home on little money.

Some things you can do for free… Like decluttering helps A LOT! In fact, this spring i’m putting my clutter into a rummage sale and on Ebay to afford some of my fix-up projects. So does taming your yard, and keeping your home smelling clean, particularly if you own pets or smoke. Sometimes these little things matter more to a sale than some repairs. Painting and keeping the color palette neutral is also important to getting a good sale.

And if you hear of other types of grant programs, would you please send me a message and let me know? I’m in a similar situation and would like to take advantage of everything available. Thanks!

John asks…

If i want to move to the USA from Hungary, how should i start the whole thing?

I mean the house, the furniture. i want to live in a big city, like new york, in a flat. where should i get the furniture, and everything. how does it go in the usa? and how much money i need to move in?

Administrator answers:

Are you sure you want to move to the USA in the state it’s in? I mean Obama’s ruining our country, and you, your children, your grandchildren will all be inheriting this country’s problems and debt if you move here legally. Try reading some news about what’s going on here, it’s pretty grim, and jobs are minimal.

If your sure you want to move here, you should try to contact the US embassy in Hungary, where they can give you more information about becoming a legal citizen or to live here legally on a work visa , and the steps you have to take to obtain either. That is the first thing you have to find out, and the most important. You will probably need to sell your house (if you own it), and you will have to have your furniture and belongings shipped (which can be more expensive than buying new stuff when you get here). We have been looking to move to Germany, and it’ll cost about $8000 US dollars to have our stuff shipped, and we don’t have very much, just to give you an idea. Before you move anywhere, you need to have a job already lined up. You can’t just move (especially to another country) with no job waiting for you when you get there. And I have no idea about prices to rent flats in Hungary, but in NYC (or any other large city), expect to be paying $1200+ a month, plus utilities, depending on where and what kind of apartment your renting. Our rent is $586/mo +utilities (about $100), we live in a tiny one bedroom apartment in a rural area in a not-so-nice part of town. It is very expensive to live here, and gets more expensive the bigger the city, and the better the part of town you live in. You can also expect to earn about $10/hr at an entry-level position job (unless you have education and a lot of experience, you’ll be starting at entry-level). Expect over rent and utilities, for an average single person, about another $500-$800/mo in expenses for food, household items, and other necessities. If you own, or plan to buy a car, you can figure a $200/mo payment (if you get a nice used car, it’ll be more for a expensive car or new car), then figure gas at around $2.80-$3.20/gallon, and you must have auto insurance, which will be about another $100/mo depending on your age/driving record. It is also a smart idea to have health and homeowners/renters insurance, which is an additional $100+ a month depending on pre-existing medical conditions and lifestyle (like smoking), and if you live in a bad part of town or have really valuable things. Then if you want any non-essential things, such as a cell phone (aprx $70/mo depending on plan), cable tv and internet ($100/mo for a both, r about $60/mo for just one), or a home phone (about $30/mo), expect these costs as well. Then you finally have taxes. Sales tax (on every item you purchase), is between 7%-9%, depending on what city and state. Then you have yearly income taxes, which depending on your income, marital status, if you have children, if your a student ect… Will be roughly 20% of your income (as I said, depending on many factors, but typically most people pay around 20%, some more some less). Other cities and states also have income taxes, as well as property taxes, road taxes, school taxes, an taxes are not optional not to pay. Depending on where you live, many cities have other taxes to fund project too. All these taxes simply depend on where you live, and with Obama’s huge spending, expect even higher taxes soon.

It is very expensive to live here. All the numbers I gave were in US dollars, and may me higher or lower depending on where you move in the US. It’s a huge step, be sure you want to make it.

George asks…

Isn’t denial of college to people in the projects a way to keep people in the projects?

There’s a law that says full time college students cannot live in subsidized housing. Doesn’t this just repeat the cycle?

Administrator answers:

Please don’t twist that into discrimination. The rule applies to Section 42 housing. The rule is more directed at those still on their parent’s bill. Even though the student’s income would qualify, it is solely due to their parents paying all of their expenses. Section 42 housing is not designed to be student housing. It was created to provide quality housing for those household with a low to moderate income, not to be confused with Section 8 (the projects) which is income based. The full time student rule does allow for exceptions like if you are married filing a joint tax return or eligible to file a joint tax return or a single parent with a dependant qualifies as long as either the applicant or the other parent of the dependant claims the child on their tax returns. Additionally, applicants receiving AFDC or TANF (aka cash welfare payments) qualify, as well. Furthermore, if someone in the household is not a full time student then the household qualifies. Selecting only part of the information takes it out of context and an appropriate word for that is propaganda.

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Related posts:

  1. Your Questions About Low Income Housing Projects
  2. Your Questions About Low Income Housing Projects
  3. Your Questions About Low Income Housing Projects
  4. Your Questions About Low Income Housing Projects
  5. Your Questions About Low Income Housing Projects